BITS and PIECES
This Section is devoted to our neighbourhood - the things that go on around us
(often involving dogs).
If you have any pictures, historical bits and pieces or stories please let us know.
A view looking east across the Valley of the River Irk
The Manchester City Football Stadium is in the centre
The Angel Steps leading to Angel Meadow (note Pippo's tail leading the way)
In the meadow are thousands of burials, from the very poorest of the city, very many of them of children.
These steps are so called because of a vision of angels seen here in the mid 19th century guarding the graves.
Blackjack Brewery on Irk Street
(for tasting notes see Fr Ray and Pippo)
Three Rivers Gin Distillery on Red Bank
Named after the three principle rivers of Manchester (Irwell, Medlock and Irk)
(for tasting notes see Br Gerard)
St Patrick waiting for the Irish Parade to go past the church
Fr Christopher holding forth from the pulpit at a Missa Cantata in May for the school children.
Some of the flowers that the children brought for our Lady's image.
St Philip and St Benignus (his skeleton) either side.
There were some plastic windmills but they'll have to wait till next time for a picture.
The Newman Shrine with the reliquary bust containing some of his hair
As there are no skeletal remains of Newman we were able to give a substantial amount of his hair for the ceremony of beatification. It had been kept by a lay-sister at the Selly Park convent in Birmingham, where he went to have his hair cut. She placed it in an envelope and wrote on it 'Fr Newman's hair'. The packet was given to us by a local priest who had received from the convent, and we in turn gave it for the beatification. It is wonderful to think that this unknown lay sister whose job was to cut the clergy's hair is responsible for the relics we have.
Fr Richard on the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes
turning the first sod of the new grotto
Work in progress
Getting ready under St Chad's banner for the Italian Procession
at the old St Michael's Church on George Leigh Street,
which was the original site of St Chad's School in 1847, next to a pub called The Two Terriers (see below).
Someone has had enough
Angel Meadow then
St Chad's tower can ben seen across the Irk Valley.
Angel Meadow now
The new Coop Building opened by the Queen (and someone wanting the ball to be thrown).
New arrival to the Community - Midge
Pippo showing him the way around the watering spots of Angel Meadow
What wonderful beards!
Fr Christopher and Pippo caught by a photographer
A normal Saturday morning at Victoria Station
A locomotive aptly called The Jacobite
The Jacobite army camped on the hillside where the church is built around St Andrew's Day 1745,
and so the area became known as Scotland